Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Vilnius, Lithuania is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Mechanic (Plumber).
Work Hours: Full-time (40 hours/week)
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (4 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
• Performs a combination of journeyman mechanic level and semi-skilled tasks in the maintenance and repair of buildings and equipment.
• Plumbing work and emergency repair in all U.S. Embassy Vilnius compound buildings and associated short term leased residences, as well as CMR and DCMR.
• Will work on water-supply maintenance and repair, as well as assisting boiler operator with work on various heating system repairs.
• Repairs washers, dryers, dishwashers and all home appliances at these facilities.
• Checks and reads utilities meters in residences.
• Makes ready short term leased residences. May also be asked to perform minor welding jobs.
• EDUCATION: Completion of elementary school is required. Completion of vocational school or apprenticeship recognized as producing journeyman mechanic skills is required.
• EXPERIENCE: Two years of journeyman plumber experience is required in a private, commercial, light-industrial or municipal setting.
• LANGUAGE: Level I (basic) English (reading/writing/speaking).
• SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Must be able to use all tools of the trade; is required to have a Lithuanian “Class B” driver's license.
• QUALIFICATIONS: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
• EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
• Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Vilnius, Lithuania may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
• For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office. The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link:
How to Apply: All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a non-sensitive clearance. Applicants must submit a Universal Application for Employment (DS-174).
To apply for this position, applicants should electronically (or otherwise) submit the documents listed below to HROVilnius[at]state.gov or to HR Office, U.S. Embassy, Akmenų g. 6, Vilnius, LT-03106.
Required Documents: Please provide the required documentation listed below with your application:
• DS-174 Universal Application for Employment
• DD-214 - Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
• SF-50 (if applicable)
• Residency and/or Work Permit (if such is required for working in Lithuania).
Applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.