ROYAL CARIBBEAN INTERNATIONAL - www.royalcaribbean.com
Serves beverages to guests seated at tables or standing in various bars, cocktail lounges or
special events throughout the vessel by performing the following duties.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
All duties and responsibilities are to be performed in accordance with Royal Caribbean
International’s Gold Anchor Standards, SQM standards, USPH guidelines, environmental,
and safety policies.
Each shipboard employee may be required to perform all functions in various food and beverage
service venues and throughout the ship.
1. In accordance with Royal Caribbean International’s philosophy of Anchored in
Excellence , each employee conducts oneself in a professional and courteous manner
at all times. This consists of physical and verbal interactions with guests or fellow
shipboard employees and/or in the presence of guest contact and crew areas.
2. Each bar shipboard employee reports to their workstation assignment on time and
properly groomed and dressed according to Royal Caribbean International’s Gold
Anchor Standards. This includes a clean uniform, nametag, and any other uniform
3. Greets and converses with guests to answer questions, provide information, promote
drink specials and/or up-sell to premium brands. Makes suggestions for alternatives
if drink request is not available in current inventory.
4. Takes all beverage orders and relays it to Bartender. Asks for appropriate
identification to determine minimum drinking age.
5. Collects order from Bartender and reviews to ensure drink order is correct and is
served in appropriate glass and adds appropriate garnish. Discusses discrepancies
with Bartender to complete the order. Places glasses on tray, and serves to guests
with cocktail napkins, according to Gold Anchor Standards.
6. Computes bill and presents for payment. Collects charge card for drinks served
and inputs accurate data in the point-of-sale system. Calculates tips, discounts,
percentages and refunds as needed. Presents statement to guest for signature
and collects payment.
7. Takes orders for and serves light meals and hors d'oeuvres.
8. Ensures stations and/or tables are clean, orderly and properly set with matches,
clean ashtrays and beverage menus, etc. Removes empty or dirty glasses and
bottles and returns them to the bar or kitchen. Practices napkin folding techniques
9. Works independently and without immediate supervision. Promotes teamwork
and provides on-the-job training to Bar Utility personnel to strengthen their current
10. While scheduled to work in the English Pub, makes an attempt to converse with
guests. to emphasize the English Pub atmosphere.
11. While scheduled to work in the Golf Bar, makes an attempt to converse with guests
regarding the sport of golf, personalities, events, championships, etc. to emphasis the
Golf Bar atmosphere.
12. While scheduled to work in the Sports Bar, makes an attempt to converse with
guests regarding various domestic and international sports, athletes, events,
championships, etc. to emphasize the Sports Bar atmosphere.
13. May perform Bar Server duties during special events and parties not located in the
bars or lounges. May work in outside weather conditions and is occasionally
exposed to wet and/or humid conditions.
14. Attends meetings, training activities, courses and all other work-related activities
15. Performs related duties as required. This position description in no way states or
implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the shipboard employee
occupying this position. Shipboard employees will be required to perform any
other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor or management.
You can apply for this job if you are:
- At least 21 years of age
- speak good English
- are hospitable and friendly person
- having relevant experience
Two to three years previous bar server experience, preferably in a 4 or 5 star
restaurant, lounge, hotel, etc.
Ability to work independently to, quickly and accurately, take and serve drink
Working knowledge of varying brands and quality of liquors and beers.
Knowledge of varying brands and quality of wines preferred.
Working knowledge of public health standards.
Working knowledge of cash registers and/or related computerized systems.
Ability to perform basic math functions with regard to calculating tips, discounts
Ability to up-sell and promote drinks and specials.
Ability to apply customer service skills, according to Royal Caribbean
International’s Gold Anchor Standards, when interacting with guests and
Ability to provide on-the-job training to Bar Utility personnel.
Completion of high school or basic education equivalency preferred.
Additional Hiring Requirements for Specialty Bars:
In order to portray an authentic English Pub atmosphere, candidates with a United
Kingdom background are preferred.
Previous bar server experience in an authentic English Pub is preferred.
Ability and willingness to create and emphasize an English Pub atmosphere.
Knowledge of lager, bitter, beer and other English beverages.
Knowledge of the game of golf, lifestyles of golfers and golf personalities. Ability
and willingness to converse with guests to create and emphasis the Golf Bar
Knowledge of various domestic and international sports such as American football,
basketball, baseball and international soccer and cricket. Ability and willingness
to converse with guests to create and emphasize the Sports Bar atmosphere.
Ability to speak English clearly, distinctly and cordially with guests.
Ability to read and write English in order to understand and interpret written
procedures. This includes the ability to give and receive instructions in written and
verbal forms and to effectively present information and respond to questions from guests, supervisors and co-workers.
Ability to speak additional languages such as Spanish, French or German preferred.
While performing the duties of this job, the shipboard employee is regularly required
to stand for long periods of time; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with
hands and arms; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee must frequently lift
and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include
close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and
ability to adjust focus.
All shipboard employees must be physically able to participate in emergency life
saving procedures and drills. Full use and range of arms and legs s well as full visual,
verbal and hearing abilities are required to receive and give instructions in the event
of an emergency including the lowering of lifeboats. Ability to lift and/or move up
to 50 pounds.
Luxury cruise ships sailing around the World - combine work and travel, but be ready for hard work!
- Work experience in International Company
- Food, accommodation, and medical insurance expenses are covered by the company
- Permanent job with 6 months contracts followed by 2 months vacation
- Tax-free salary is paid every two weeks