The European Patent Office
With almost 7 000 employees, the European Patent Office (EPO) is one of the largest public service institutions in Europe. Its headquarters are in Munich and it also has offices in Berlin, Brussels, The Hague and Vienna. The EPO was founded with the aim of strengthening co-operation on patents in Europe. Through the EPO's centralised patent granting procedure, inventors are able to obtain high-quality patent protection in up to 44 countries, covering a market of some 700 million people. The EPO is also the world's leading authority in patent information and patent searching.
In 2017, the EPO received over 165 000 patent applications and granted over 105 000 patents. Its free online patent database, Espacenet, contains more than 100 million technical documents from 100 countries, and its free neural machine translation service, Patent Translate, provides instant, high-quality translation in 32 languages, including Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Russian.
Are you an engineer or a scientist interested in joining an international team of highly qualified staff? Do you want to see the latest inventions?
Then this professional opportunity is the right one for you!
Salary: net (basic) monthly salary* for this vacancy: EUR 5 500 to 7 830, depending on experience Duration of appointment: 5 years Career path: technical
Location: Munich and The Hague
Application deadline: 30.12.2018
We are currently seeking engineers and scientists, with a Master's degree in engineering, physics, chemistry or natural sciences, to work as European Patent Examiners in the area of the following technical fields:
- Polymer Chemistry
- Medical Technology
- Handling & Processing
- Measuring & Optics
- Electrical and Electronic Technology
- Information & Communications Technology
- Technical Chemistry
- Audio Video Media and Signal Processing
Your main responsibilities
- Carrying out patent examination from the search to the post-grant stage, and solving complex technical and legal problems in the process
- Taking a broad perspective to identify solutions whilst ensuring the uniform and effective application of the EPC (European Patent Convention) and other legal texts
- Creating and maintaining classification systems to ensure efficient and effective searching
We expect you to be able to:
- analyse technical and subject-specific information
- retrieve technical information from databases and other sources
- analyse and compare technical matter according to the legal provisions applicable
- make decisions following the assessment of complex technical information, the application of legal requirements and the examination of parties' arguments
- write clear and well-reasoned communications
- interact with colleagues and applicants to process patent applications efficiently
- Master's degree (or equivalent) in engineering, physics, chemistry or natural sciences. The degree should be relevant to the technical field(s) indicated in this vacancy notice.
- Generally, an excellent knowledge (at least C1) of one official language (English, French and German) and working knowledge (at least B2) of the other two. In exceptional cases, excellent knowledge (at least C1) of one official language and working knowledge (at least B2) of another. In such cases, the willingness to learn the third language and to reach Level B2 within three years would be required.
- Work experience in industry would be advantageous.
- Citizenship of one of the member states of the European Patent Organisation.
Our next recruitment events will take place in The Hague from 04.03.2019 to 08.03.2019 and in Munich from 11.03.2019 to 15.03.2019. As a general rule, you will be invited to the location (Munich or The Hague) for which your application is being considered.
At the end of our recruitment process, suitable candidates are either directly appointed to a vacant post or added to the EPO Talent Pool for a period of 18 months. We may use the Talent Pool to fill vacant posts with a similar profile.
Job group: 4
Grade: G7-10 (net (basic) monthly salary* for this vacancy: EUR 5 500 to 7 800, depending on experience) Duration of appointment: five years Career path: Technical
Location: The Hague/Munich
Application deadline: 17.01.2019
The deadline for applications is 17 January 2019.
Please click here to APPLY
* after deduction of EPO internal tax and before deduction of staff contributions to the social-security and pension schemes.
The EPO is an equal opportunities employer and supports workforce diversity as a signatory to the Diversity Charter (Charta der Vielfalt) since 2010.
All applications for vacant positions will be welcomed and considered on the professional merits of the applicant against the role profile for the position regardless of nationality, ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, parental responsibilities, age, religion or belief.