The selected candidate will work in a team of enterprise architects, each one relatively focused in the specific architecture domain area for which they are most competent, but all closely cooperating as a team under the direction of the Head of Unit.
Main tasks and responsibilities
The successful applicant will have to carry out the following main duties:
Within his or her domain of competence, and working as part of the Architecture team, the Technical Architect will be responsible for the following general tasks:
- Produce, maintain, update, disseminate, and expand the set of architecture baseline documentation;
- Take up technical assurance roles on IT development projects;
- Sponsor, drive, and support the delivery of technical solutions with architectural relevance;
- Be responsible for the product management of technical sub-systems of the integrated Europol computerized system;
- Monitor new promising technologies and analyse their applicability to Europol;
- Monitor and/or participate to selected EU, law enforcement, or other relevant forums, and sponsor adoption of interfaces and standards;
- Take up solution design roles in IT development projects as needed.
- Develop and maintain the baseline software architecture, including application software components, application server platforms, and middleware;
- Develop and maintain the architecture of the common technical software services, such as for example messaging infrastructure, database management systems, application integration services, audit logging and viewing, portal platforms, and web services;
- Identify and specify required middleware and other shared technical software components, providing guidance and review for their implementation and configuration, with as much detail as needed from time to time;
- Design, review, and contribute to the definition of test plans for stability, availability and performance of technical architecture components and application systems;
- Drive the evaluation and selection of the technical products that are required to implement the software and middleware architecture;
- Write and maintain technical standards for the organization;
- Assess business cases, project proposals, and project deliverables, to determine the impact on, and compliance with, the software and technical architecture, including sizing and capacity planning considerations.
The post holder should fulfil the following requirements:
- Be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen;
- Excellent oral and written command of at least two official languages of the European Union, including English;
- Ten years or more relevant IT experience, of which at least 5 in relevant Enterprise Architecture roles;
- University degree in Computer Science or equivalent academic qualifications in the area of Information Technology;
- Good PC skills with professional competence on the Microsoft Office product suite, including MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Visio and MS Project;
- Work experience in a complex public sector environment, or at least in a highly regulated environment with an articulated governance model would be an advantage.
Specific skills and competencies
- Enterprise architecture experience
- Experience in standard architecture frameworks
- General Architecture Modelling skills
The ideal candidate must have relevant knowledge and experience in the concepts, methods, techniques, and representative products in the following domain areas:
- General Architecture Modelling skills
- Service Oriented Architectures
- Application server platforms, with emphasis on Microsoft .NET
- Microsoft Active Directory
- Relational database management systems
- Document and content management technologies
- Web architectures, including portal and web-based collaboration technologies
- Terminal servers and thin-client configurations
- Virtual server architectures
- E-mail, messaging and business process management technology, including message brokers and workflow tools
- Batch architectures
- Technology supporting the implementation of web services
- Identity and access management technologies, including web access control and user provisioning
- High-availability architectures
- Performance optimisation techniques and tools
- Technical testing methods and tools, including performance testing
Knowledge and experience in the following domains will be regarded as an extra asset:
- Token-based and smart-card based authentication infrastructure
- Microsoft SharePoint Server and Microsoft Biztalk Server
- IBM WebSphere
- Microsoft Solutions Framework
The candidate must possess the following professional skills:
- Logical, structured and systematic thinking;
- Ability to express ideas in clear and concise language;
- Creative and analytical problem solving skills;
- Project management experience;
- A high sense of co-operation, team working, and flexibility;
- Team leading and general leadership skills and experience;
- Ability to organise, plan and implement work assignments, for own work and for team’s work, manage competing demands and work under pressure of tight deadlines;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with co-workers in a multi-cultural and multi-national work environment.
Knowledge of an Eastern EU language would be an extra asset.
Scale: 6 or 5
The basic salary is EUR 5,736,61 – 6.694,23 (tax deduction within Europol is approximately 15 – 20 %)
In addition, when relevant, family allowances can be granted:
- 5% of the basic salary – household allowance;
- EUR 284,20 (net) - per dependant child;
- EUR 926,77 (net) – expatriation allowance
Social contributions and taxes have to be deducted from the above mentioned amount.
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THIS POST IS ALLOCATED IN THE HAGUE, THE NETHERLANDS ONLY.
EUROPOL’S SALARIES ARE FAVOURABLE, AS TAXES ARE NOT DEDUCTED BY THE DUTCH STATE!