ROYAL CARIBBEAN INTERNATIONAL - www.royalcaribbean.com
Ensures a smooth and efficient operation of the Restaurant and other food service outlets throughout the ship towards the goal of achieving total guest satisfaction following company policies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
To support Celebrity Cruises’ mission of becoming “the world’s ultimate premium cruise line with a taste of luxury,” all duties and responsibilities are to be performed in accordance with Celebrity Cruises’ Pillars of Safety, Service and Style, ISM/ISO and SQM standards, USPH guidelines, and environmental regulations.
Each shipboard employee may be required to perform all functions in various service venues and throughout the ship.
1. In accordance with Celebrity Cruises’ Pillars of Safety, Service and Style, as well as through Celebrity Connections, each employee conducts oneself in a professional and courteous manner at all times. This consists of physical and verbal interactions with guests or fellow shipboard employees and/or in the presence of guest contact and Celebrity Family Member (CFM) areas.
2. Directs, coaches, supports, supervises and evaluates (in conjunction with the Food & Beverage Manager) the performance of all direct reports.
3. Is thoroughly versed with the company’s high service and food standards, anticipating and fulfilling guests’ needs.
4. Has full knowledge of Food Operations: menus knowledge and cooking methods applied, menu cycles and service standards.
5. Responsible for the Restaurant reservations doing the utmost to honor all guest requests.
6. Communicates daily with the Food & Beverage Manager and the Executive Chef/Chef so that the Restaurant and the galley work in perfect harmony to achieve a high level of guest satisfaction and immediately addresses and corrects any guests concerns.
7. Keeps the Food & Beverage Manager informed on all related guests issues such as special requests, suggestions or complaints.
8. Communicates daily with the Bar Manager to discuss wine and bar service in the restaurant and beverage staff performance.
9. Possesses a sound knowledge of wines and wine service in order to monitor the Wine Sommelier’s performance.
10. Creates team spirit by being a leader and a motivator and leading by example.
11. Designate specific responsibilities to the Assistant Maître d’s who are in charge of the various sections of the Restaurant.
12. Assigns work schedules, days off and other duties to Assistant Maître d’s, Waiters, Busboys, and Restaurant Cleaners.
13. Assigns service stations to all Restaurant personnel based on their performance, attitude and ability without any form of discrimination.
14. Orders all equipment necessary for the daily operation of the Restaurant, keeping the Food & Beverage Manager informed of any shortages or difficulties.
15. Keeps a close control of all the equipment and takes inventories whenever required by the Food & Beverage Manager.
16. Controls all special requests and extras required by the guests; evaluates and submits these items to the Food & Beverage Manager.
17. Ensures that all personnel take excellent care of the company’s property. Issues repair requests and monitors their follow up.
18. Visits all tables once a day and pays special attention to VIPs and difficult guests.
19. Ensures that all service personnel adhere to the company’s policies regarding uniforms, personal appearance and hygiene through the individual check in process.
20. Holds a menu briefing before each meal with active participation of the Waiters and Busboys.
21. Sets up and supervises a training program for all Restaurant personnel, covering all aspects of service, menu education and etiquette, in consideration of future promotions.
22. Responsible for the training program of the Snack Stewards and Utility Dining Room staff, motivating and encouraging them for futures promotions.
23. Ensures that all Restaurant staff is trained and performs their duties according to the United States Public Health rules and regulations.
24. Sets up and maintains a Restaurant cleaning schedule in order to be prepared for any announced or surprise USPH type inspection.
25. Ensures that all safety procedures are adhered to, cooperating with the Staff Captain and the Safety Officer in the ship’s Safety Program and that all staff follows the ship’s rules and regulations at all times.
26. Evaluates his/her staff and discusses their strengths and weaknesses giving special attention to the new employees. The Food & Beverage Manager must countersign all written warnings.
27. Communicates with the Food & Beverage Manager in order to plan and achieve a good staff rotation schedule.
28. Conducts “Welcome on board Meeting” for all new sign on CFMs together with the Hotel Director, Food & Beverage Manager and Bar Manager.
29. Must be thoroughly familiar with the Restaurant Operations Manual.
30. Has a thorough understanding of Time and Attendance procedures, shipboard training, and is familiar with the contracts and work schedule hours/week and supporting documentation, as outlined in SQM.
31. Is aware of, and/or acquires the necessary knowledge to comply with the ship’s standard operation, in order to assist guests and CFMs with inquiries.
32. Attends meetings, training activities, courses and all other work-related activities as required.
33. Performs related duties as required. This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the shipboard employee occupying this position. Shipboard employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor or management.
Financial responsibilities for budget, expenses and/or achievement of revenue targets.
This position is responsible for cost containment through the proper use, handling and maintenance of records, reports, supplies and equipment.
Ensures that all communication costs are kept under control
Ensures that guests are charged for pertinent special requests and services.
Identifies potential expense reductions through cost control. Analyzes operational problems and establishes controls. Reviews timesheets and forwards to the Food & Beverage Manager for approval. May prepare a variety of reports and letters utilizing personal computer system and equipment.
Ensures that items are requisitioned in correct quantities, within acceptable timeframes and in accordance with established control procedures. Conducts workstation spot checks to ensure items are correctly stored to minimize deterioration and waste.
People management responsibilities to ensure optimal performance of the function.
Monitors and manages the various assigned workstation functions. Monitors the assignment of duties and responsibilities to his/her staff. Observes and evaluates staff and work procedures to ensure quality standards and service are met. Makes recommendations regarding personnel actions such as new hire requests and discharges, to ensure adequate and continuous staffing. Inspects workstations, work areas, equipment, etc. to ensure efficient service and conformance to standards.
Mentors, develops and provides on-the-job training to his/her staff to strengthen their current performance and preparation for future advancement.
Conducts meetings with team once per cruise.
Conducts motivational and team building activities with shipboard teams as required.
Minimum hiring, language and physical requirements to perform the job.
Minimum of five to eight years hospitality management experience (shipboard experience preferred), or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
Bachelor’s degree in hospitality management, business administration or related field from an accredited college or university or the international equivalent preferred.
USPH certification required.
Very strong management skills in a multicultural and dynamic environment.
Very strong communication, problem solving, decision making, and interpersonal skills.
Superior customer service, teambuilding and conflict resolution skills.
Knowledge of the principles and processes for providing personalized services including needs assessment techniques, quality service standards, alternative delivery systems, and guest satisfaction evaluation techniques.
Strong planning, coaching, organizing, staffing, controlling, and evaluating skills.
Intermediate computer software skills required.
Possess a good understanding of basic accounting principles such as numbering flow, “Debits/Credits”, adjusting entries and corrections.
Internal Candidate Requirements:
In addition to the stated hiring requirements, internal candidates are required to fulfill the following:
Completion of a minimum of three contracts as Assistant Maître d’/Waiter/Waitress with a performance rating of satisfactory or above, along with demonstrated leadership skills.
Ability to speak English clearly, distinctly and cordially with guests.
Ability to read and write English in order to understand and interpret written procedures. This includes the ability to give and receive instructions in written and verbal forms and to effectively present information and respond to questions from guests, supervisors and co-workers.
Ability to speak additional languages such as Spanish, French or German preferred.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
All shipboard employees must be physically able to participate in emergency life saving procedures and drills. Full use and range of arms and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities are required to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency including the lowering of lifeboats. Ability to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Luxury cruise ships sailing around the World - combine work and travel, but be ready for hard work!
Work experience in International Company
Food, accommodation, and medical insurance expenses are covered by the company
CONTRACT LENGTH 4/2; company pays $1,000+tips as comes total to $4,500 and up