Purpose of the post:
The main role of the Programmes and Architecture Unit is to develop, maintain and evaluate Europol’s ICT strategy and architecture.
The Programmes and Architecture Unit further accommodates the Corporate Programme Office responsible for running programmes and projects as well as for maintenance and development of Europol Project Standards, and facilitating the work of Europol’s Quality and Process Management function.
The selected candidate will work in a team of enterprise architects, each one relatively focused in the specific architecture domain area for which they are most competent, but all closely cooperating as a team under the direction of the Head of Unit.
Tasks and responsibilities
The successful applicant will be responsible for the following general tasks:
- Produce, maintain, update, disseminate, and expand the set of architecture baseline documentation;
- Take up technical assurance roles on IT development projects;
- Sponsor, drive, and support the delivery of technical solutions with architectural relevance;
- Be responsible for the product management of technical sub-systems of the integrated Europol computerized system;
- Monitor new promising technologies and analyse their applicability to Europol;
- Monitor and/or participate to selected EU, law enforcement, or other relevant forums, and sponsor adoption of interfaces and standards;
- Take up solution design roles in IT development projects as needed.
- Develop and maintain the baseline software architecture, including application software components, application server platforms, and middleware;
- Develop and maintain the architecture of the common technical software services, such as for example messaging infrastructure, database management systems, application integration services, audit logging and viewing, portal platforms, and web services;
- Identify and specify required middleware and other shared technical software components, providing guidance and review for their implementation and configuration, with as much detail as needed from time to time;
- Design, review, and contribute to the definition of test plans for stability, availability and performance of technical architecture components and application systems;
- Drive the evaluation and selection of the technical products that are required to implement the software and middleware architecture;
- Write and maintain technical standards for the organization;
- Assess business cases, project proposals, and project deliverables, to determine the impact on, and compliance with, the software and technical architecture, including sizing and capacity planning considerations;
- Perform any other task in the area of competence as assigned by the Head of Unit.
a. Candidates must
- Be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen;
- Have fulfilled any obligations imposed by the applicable laws on military service;
- Produce appropriate character references as to the suitability for the performance of the duties;
- Be physically fit to perform the duties pertaining to the position;
- Produce evidence of a thorough knowledge of one of the languages of the Communities and a satisfactory knowledge of another language of the Communities to the extent necessary for the performance of the duties.
b. Candidates must have
- A level of education which corresponds to completed university studies attested by a diploma when the normal period of university education is 4 years or more;
A level of education which corresponds to completed university studies attested by a diploma and appropriate professional experience of at least 1 year when the normal period of university education is at least 3 years;
- In addition to the above have at least 9 years of relevant professional work experience gained following the award of the diploma.
a. Professional experience:
- Enterprise architecture experience
- Experience in standard architecture frameworks
- General Architecture Modelling skills
- Project management experience.
- Work experience in a complex public sector environment, or at least in a highly regulated environment with an articulated governance model;
- Three years or more of experience in a recognised formal enterprise architecture role.
b. Professional knowledge:
The ideal candidate must have relevant knowledge and experience in the concepts, methods, techniques, and representative products in the following domain areas:
- Service Oriented Architectures
- Application server platforms, Microsoft .NET and J2EE
- Microsoft Active Directory
- Relational database management systems
- Document and content management technologies
- Web architectures, including portal and web-based collaboration technologies
- Terminal servers and thin-client configurations
- Virtual server architectures
- E-mail, messaging and business process management technology, including message brokers and workflow tools
- Batch architectures
- Technology supporting the implementation of web services
- Identity and access management technologies, including web access control and user provisioning
- High-availability architectures
- Performance optimisation techniques and tools
Knowledge and experience in the following domains will be regarded as an extra asset:
- Token-based and smart-card based authentication infrastructure
- Microsoft SharePoint Server and Microsoft Biztalk Server
- IBM WebSphere
- Microsoft Solutions Framework
- Technical testing methods and tools, including performance testing
c. Technical skills and competencies:
- Excellent communication skills in English, both orally and in writing;
- Good PC skills with professional competence on the Microsoft Office product suite, including MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Visio and MS Project
- Logical, structured and systematic thinking;
- Ability to express ideas in clear and concise language;
- Creative and analytical problem solving skills.
- Ability to manage projects and familiarity with project management terminology and methodology.
d. Social skills and competencies:
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with co-workers in a multi-cultural and multi-national work environment.
- Ability to manage a diverse team and good leadership skills;
- Ability to organise, plan and implement work assignments, for own work and for team’s work, manage competing demands and work under pressure of tight deadlines
Scale: AD 8
The basic monthly salary is EUR 6 181, 38 (step 1).
In addition, if applicable, allowances such as expatriation allowance, household allowance, dependent child allowance and education may be granted.
Europol offers a comprehensive welfare package comprising additional benefits such as medical insurance, unemployment and invalidity allowance as well as a pension scheme.
Salaries are subject to a community tax but exempt from national taxation.