ROYAL CARIBBEAN INTERNATIONAL - www.royalcaribbean.com
The Wine Tender provides a multi-functional role in the Wine Bar, Dining Room and
Champagne Bar. The Wine Tender sells and serves wine to guests and educators guests
about wine. Maintains the Wine Bar while serving wine and beverages to guests by performing the following essential duties and responsibilities.
All duties and responsibilities are to be performed in accordance with Royal Caribbean International’s Gold Anchor Standards, SQM standards, USPH guidelines, environmental, and safety policies.
Each shipboard employee may be required to perform all functions in various food and beverage service venues and throughout the ship.
1. In accordance with Royal Caribbean International’s philosophy of Anchored in
Excellence , each employee conducts oneself in a professional and courteous manner
at all ties. This consists of physical and verbal interactions with guests or fellow shipboard employees and/or in the presence of guest contact and crew areas.
2. Each bar shipboard employee reports to their workstation assignment on time and properly groomed and dressed according to Royal Caribbean International’s Gold Anchor Standards. This includes a clean uniform, nametag, and any other uniform related item.
3. Interacts and converses with guests to answer questions, provide wine information, promote wine selections and/or up-sell to premium brands. Makes suggestions for alternatives if wine request is not available in current inventory. Leads guests in a variety of entertaining and educational activities to increase their comfort level with
wine selection and purchases. Conducts various types of wine tastings, educational wine games and other wine promotional activities.
4. Takes orders from guests. Asks for appropriate identification to determine minimum drinking age. Presents wine, opens wine bottle and serves wine to guests in the appropriate glassware and in accordance with Gold Anchor Standards.
5. Collects charge card for drinks served and inputs accurate data in the point-of-sale
system. Calculates tips, discounts, percentages and refunds as needed with management approval. Presents statement to guest for signature. Maintains accurate accounting records.
6. Sets up Wine Bar display according to Gold Anchor Standards and maintains display throughout the day. Maintains an awareness of inventory stock and location to enhance work performance.
7. Serves and replenishes various bar snacks.
8. Organizes and hosts wine tasting seminars for guests in various venues. Sets-up the wine tasting seminar with educational materials and promotional items. Determines the
number of personnel required to assist and seeks management approval. Explains
the seminar objectives and collects the nominal fee charge before starting the seminar. Conducts the seminar according to the Gold Anchor Standards.
9. Maintains, secures and cleans bar area. Ensures stations and/or tables are clean, orderly and properly set with clean ashtrays, wine list, beverage menus, etc. Removes empty or dirty glasses and bottles and returns them to the bar or pantry.
10. Works independently and without immediate supervision. Promotes teamwork and as needed, provides on-the-job training to Wine Tenders, Bar Servers and/or Bar Utility personnel to strengthen their current performance. Conducts and/or participates in regular wine training seminars to increase overall basic wine knowledge and selling effectiveness.
11. Maintains accurate par levels and rotates stock according to management standards.
Maintains inventory of wines and other items utilized in the bar. Orders or requisitions wines, liquors and supplies. Conducts inventory counts as scheduled and unscheduled.
12. Maintains an awareness of wine trends and makes recommendations to management to introduce wines.
13. Works closely with Cruise Program employees to create a variety of entertaining and educational activities to promote wine interest and sales.
14. May perform Bartender duties during special events and parties not located in the bars or lounges. May work in outside weather conditions and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions.
15. Attends meetings, training activities, courses and all other work-related activities as required.
16. Performs related duties as required. This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the shipboard employee occupying this
position. Shipboard employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties
assigned by their supervisor or management.
You can apply for this job if you are:
- At least 21 years of age
- speak good English
- are hospitable and friendly person
- having relevant experience
Two to three years previous bartending experience, preferably in a wine bar, 4 or 5 star restaurant, lounge etc.
Extensive knowledge of various wines, sparkling wines and spirits. Ability and willingness to converse and educate guests regarding wines.
Highly motivated, personable and service oriented individual that is able to communicate comfortably in large and small groups is required.
Candidates are required to demonstrate their knowledge and skills as it pertains to this position.
Ability to lead guests in wine related activities such as wine trivia, wine games, and wine tastings for individuals and small groups.
Ability to work independently to, quickly and accurately, mix drinks according to mixology standards.
Working knowledge of public health standards.
Working knowledge of cash registers and/or related computerized systems. Ability to perform basic math functions with regard to calculating tips, discounts and percentages.
Working knowledge of inventory control methods and standards.
Ability to up-sell and promote wine and drink specials.
Ability to apply customer service skills, according to Royal Caribbean International’s Gold Anchor Standards, when interacting with guests and coworkers.
Ability to provide on-the-job training to Bar Servers and Bar Utility personnel.
Completion of high school or basic education equivalency preferred.
Ability to speak English clearly, distinctly and cordially with shipboard employees and guests.
Ability to read and write English in order to understand and interpret written procedures. This includes the ability to give and receive instructions in written and verbal forms and to effectively present information and respond to questions from guests, supervisors and co-workers.
Ability to speak additional languages such as Spanish, French, Italian or German preferred.
While performing the duties of this job, the shipboard employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
All shipboard employees must be physically able to participate in emergency life saving procedures and drills. Full use and range of arms and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities are required to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency including the lowering of lifeboats. Ability to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Luxury cruise ships sailing around the World - combine work and travel, but be ready for hard work!
- Work experience in International Company
- Food, accommodation, and medical insurance expenses are covered by the company
- Permanent job with 6 months contracts followed by 2 months vacation
- Tax-free salary is paid every two weeks