Code crunching space traveler
The biggest challenge
Although our business model may sound familiar, our approach to network retailing sets us apart from the usual suspects. So much so, in fact, that while we admire the achievements of international platforms, we don’t necessarily consider them our peers. We opt for a more localized approach (up close and personal!) and our ways of working reflect our idiosyncratic DNA. At bol.com, it’s all about autonomy and taking ownership, so end-to-end responsibility is the norm. Can you shoulder that?
Your responsibilities as a Software Engineer
- Develop clean, high-performance code that facilitates and inspires over 9,5 million customers, 23k partners, and almost 2.000 colleagues
- Think of ways to make solutions scalable and future-proof
- Help your team grow and team up with business stakeholders to ensure that solutions add customer value
- Take full, end-to-end ownership over team solutions
- Experiment with cutting-edge tooling – including tooling you add to the stack
As Software Engineer, you will join one of our Scrum teams. We believe in ownership, and you will have a mandate (together with your team) to develop features end-to-end. At bol.com, we are big on autonomy, and that makes us strong: we expect you to make all (technical) choices along the way but also to assume ownership when things go awry. You build it – you run it – you love it is our mantra, and we live it every day. Every Scrum team is part of a Fleet – every Fleet part of a Space.
As for your GPS location within the bol.com universe, check out which one you may call your (temporary, because moving between spaces is possible) home.
No matter the space you’ll join, your tech stack includes:
- Java (8!)
- Google Cloud stack
3 reasons why this is for you
- Because you take pride in writing high quality code, and are versed in Java and (some of) ↑
- Because you’re a true pioneer, both when it comes to coding and tooling
- Because you want to team up with a market leader that feels like a scaleup
3 reasons why this isn’t for you
- Because business concerns don’t concern you #letthemeatcode
- Because you don’t believe the land of ‘weed, windmills and wooden shoes’ has much to offer to techies
- Because you want to be taken by the hand; autonomy & ownership are not your thing
Where you’ll work
As Software Engineer, you’ll join a Scrum team you can always rely on for feedback and continuous professional growth. The setting? Think ‘campus’, including a game room and soccer field. Despite our size, we make fun of rigid rules and traditional work structures. We may be a market leader, but you won’t get a whiff of the corporate odor you associate with that. Our strength derives from working together as equals and constantly improving each other. After all, you can accomplish great things on your own, but so much more with your colleagues! Given that over 25% of our IT fleet consists of internationals – if you want the receipe for a celebratory Brazilian feijoada or want to sample authentic Greek mezze, Utrecht is the place to be – we have a lot of relocation experience.
What you get
With good food, you get happy bol.commers. That's why we make sure there are a lot of lunch possibilities, if you want a quick bite, a snack or a healthy salad.
Money and more...
Working at bol.com is challenging and therefore you get something in return. Besides salary, you will receive a yearly bonus, holiday allowance, holiday entitlement of 29 days, travel allowance, group insurance and more.